750g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic, grated
Thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
Plenty of black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
How to make authentic Middle Eastern chicken shawarma on a rotisserie.
1) Place the chicken into a large re-sealable bag, along with the rest of the ingredients. Rub everything together, then leave in the fridge overnight.
2) Set up coal towards the back of the firebox. Place the Joetisserie on, fully close the lid and open the bottom vent once lit.
3) Carefully skewer the chicken, packing each chicken thigh closely together. Sandwich them between both rotisserie spikes. Don’t fully tighten them, as you may need to adjust once on the rotisserie.
4) Once on the rotisserie, using heat proof gloves, adjust the chicken to be positioned over the coals. Turn on rotisserie, close lid and cook over glowing embers and flames, until it probes at minimum of 75c throughout.
5) Serve with fluffy pitta breads, crisp iceberg lettuce, great chips and garlic mayo.